Everyone say hello to Alena! A hard-working graduate student from Columbia University who has a big heart and has decided to share it abroad!
Y’all know I love a great story of people helping people and when Alena came to me with her story I couldn’t help but share this with everyone in my world-wide-web reach! Ms. Aguilar has a strong passion for children which has motivated her to address their needs globally! By giving a piece of her heart and time, she will be a part of a South African Volunteer Trip that will benefit African children and the ever-growing HIV/AIDS epidemic.
Check out what Alena had to say about why she’s involved in such a worthy cause:
I am a graduate student for Columbia’s Masters in Social Work program with a minor in International Social Welfare. I am well aware of the needs that are here in the United states on many different levels but I am also aware of the global needs all around us. Which, in my opinion many get ignored. We take a lot of things for granted here in the United States, electricity and water being two big examples. I believe that if I can do so much here as a volunteer, former educator for early childhood education and Social Work, imagine what I can do over there to help these families and children. For me this trip to South Africa as a volunteer in a HIV/AIDS orphanage,is the stepping stone to something much more bigger. With your support, I can be closer to making this happen.
For more information about myself, the organization African Impact and the opportunity to donate, please check out my site http://www.gofundme.com/OrphanageSA. Thank you!
If you have an extra dollar or two, please help Alena reach her monetary goal so she can volunteer in such a worthy cause! Sacrificing a Starbucks cup of coffee 5 days a week may help save a life!
I did it y’all! I marked something off of my bucket list! I visited the great city known as New York and actually stayed for a few days.
This past spring break, me and my family ventured out to the city that never sleeps and tried to take in everything it had to offer. Realizing that is a lot to handle in a few days, we just settled on enjoying Times Square and all of the excitement it had to offer. During my time there I did learn a few things I wanted to share:
- There is no such thing as a slow lane on the sidewalk. New Yorkers put the true meaning of power in the word power walking. What’s the rush people, slow down!
- You must know what you want to order before you step in the sandwich line. The sandwich Nazi does not tolerate being slow to order your lunch. I do have a suggestion though, how about printed menus of your items! It’s hard to read handwritten menus taped to the wall! IJS
- Times Square is a place to see whatever, whoever, and however during any time of the day! It had me completely blinded by the lights! I’m aware that New York is the city that never sleeps, but seriously why were there tatoo faced dudes trying to do something strange for a piece of change on a Tuesday evening?
- The NYPD are actually friendly and will take pictures with you. Now asking them for directions….good luck!
- New York has some great poets in the city. Although they are working hard for donations on the subway, they are truly talented nonetheless!
- The Subway moves at the speed of light and can pack more people in it than Noah did in the Ark! I was impressed but learned quickly that tunnel vision is best when traveling on the subway.
Again I had a great experience and appreciate Krishna, Shawn, ChiChi, ShellyShell and Aeryk for taking time out of their busy schedules to hang with me! Check out some photos below with me and the gang as well some great NY sights!
Nothing like starting my first day in New York with some Starbucks and my Tampa Bay Bucs!
The View of the 911 Construction from our hotel window!
Entering the 911 Memorial
Fun with my homies! The ladies who love football and know how to express it!
From Left to Right: ChiChi, ShellyShell, Yours Truly and Shawn
This is for my HOMIE!!!! Aeryk and Dee
If you can make it here you can make it anywhere! New York, NEWWWW YOOORRRRKKKK!!!!
ABC and Times Square! Nothing much else to say!
Times Square...Lights, Cameras and plenty of action!
The greatest people mover on earth!!!